A public meeting on proposed reintroduction of grizzly bears to the North Cascades will be held at the Winthrop Barn on Nov. 3, 5:30-8:30 p.m., to provide information and accept public comment about grizzly restoration plans.
The National Park Service (NPS) and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) recently scheduled the meeting in Winthrop, and another in Darrington, as part of a series of public meetings announced after release of a draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) on the North Cascades Ecosystem Grizzly Bear Restoration Plan. Public comment is being accepted on the plan until Nov. 13.
The public meeting schedule includes:
• Oct. 30, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Okanogan County Fairgrounds (Agriplex and Annex), 175 Rodeo Trail Road, Okanogan.
• Nov. 1, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Currier Hall, 500 Newhalem St., Newhalem.
• Nov. 2, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Darrington High School auditorium, 1085 Fir St., Darrington.
• Nov. 3, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Winthrop Barn auditorium, 51 State Route 20, Winthrop.
How to comment
Public comment on the draft EIS for grizzly restoration must be received before midnight on Nov. 13.
• To review the draft EIS or submit comments, go to: parkplanning.nps.gov/NCEGrizzly.
• Hard copy comments on the draft EIS can be submitted by mail or delivered to: Office of the Superintendent, Grizzly Restoration EIS, 810 State Route 20, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284.
• Separate comment is being sought on the proposed experimental population 10(j) designation for grizzly bears in the North Cascades Ecosystem.
To read or comment on the experimental population 10(j) designation go to: regulations.gov. In the Search box enter Docket No. FWS-R1-ES-2023-0074.