The Confluence: Art in Twisp hosts a free artists’ talk and reception for its current “Block Paper Stone: a Printmaking Education” exhibit on Friday, Aug. 18, from 5-7 p.m. Curators Janet Fagan and Jennifer Molesworth have organized an evening of education with artists in the show. Visit confluencegallery.org for more information.
Guaranteed Fresh Fest
The Guaranteed Fresh Fest, a free, day-long event featuring a variety of music and other attractions, will be staged on Saturday, Aug. 19, at the Doran Ranch north of Twisp beginning at noon.
The fest is described as a “family-friendly … multi-genre music party” that includes acoustic, metal, hip-hop, funk, EDM and reggae/dancehall.
Scheduled acts include that Methow Valley debut of Battle Alpaca, Wes Wil, Writrwhoraps, Essential I, Harvey Swanson, James Rhodes, Blake Austin and DJ Mike Jones. Music will continue into the evening.
Donations are encouraged.
Local food vendors will be on hand, as well as games and other kids’ activities. Camping will be available.
Sounds and storytelling
The Winthrop Library hosts “Storytelling through Sound: Sound Effects & Technology Workshop,” on Thursday (Aug. 10), from 4:30-5:30 p.m. The program is suggested for ages 10-16. Participants will explore the sounds inside movies and video games including sound effects, dialog and soundtracks.
In September, The Merc Playhouse will host auditions for a Readers Theater production of “The Girl on the Train,” based on the Paula Hawkins thriller novel and film and directed by Jane Orme, and for the full production of “Clue,” based on the screenplay by Jonathan Lynn and directed by Kira Wood-Cramer.
• Auditions for “The Girl on the Train” are on Sept. 5 and 6 from 4-6 p.m. Roles includes three women ages 20-40; three men ages 20-40; and one of any age or gender. Performance dates are Oct. 13-22.
• Auditions for “Clue” will be Sept. 26 and 27, from 4-6 p.m. Roles include six men ages 16-60; and five or six women ages 16-60. Performance dates are Dec. 8-17.
Auditioners will be given pages to read. No previous experience or prepared readings are necessary.
The Merc’s full production of “Ripcord,” written by David Lindsay-Abaire and directed by Phil Quevillon, will have performances between Sept. 22 and Oct. 1.
For information, visit www.mercplayhouse.org.
Live music in the valley
The information below was provided by Methow Music Monthly and other sources. For more information, visit www.methowmusicmonthly.com.
• Sundays, classical guitarist Terry Hunt at Twisp River Tap House, 6 p.m. No cover.
• Wednesdays, dance instruction with Debbie Bair at Twisp River Tap House, 6-8:30 p.m. $10.
• Wednesdays, Methow Ukulele Group meets at Mazama Store, 5-7 p.m. More information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Wednesdays, “Wunderkind Wednesdays,” talented youth perform at the Twisp River Tap House, curated by Ilo Curtis, 6 p.m. No cover.
• Fridays, open mic jam with Gregg Hardy at Twisp River Tap House, 6 p.m.-closing. No cover.
• First and third Fridays, Soleil Kelley, Loren Boley and Isaac Shaw and friends, at Meza restaurant, Winthrop, 6-8 p.m. No cover.
• Friday, Aug. 11, The Marcus Duke Project at Sweetriver Bakery, Pateros, 7 p.m. No cover.
• Friday, Aug. 11, What 4 plays rock, folk and blues.at OSB Pub, Winthrop, 6-9 p.m., no cover.
• Saturday, Aug. 12, Randy Battle Blue at Sweetriver Bakery, Pateros, 7 p.m. No cover.
• Saturday, Aug. 12, Seattle-based band Swindler plays original funk, jazz and psychedelic rock at Twisp River Tap House, 8 p.m. No cover.
• Wednesday, Aug. 16, 16-year-old singer-songwriter and acoustical guitar prodigy Liberty Linklater offers a mix of country, folk and Americana at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m. No cover.
• Thursday, Aug. 17, acoustical guitarist and flautist Rojer Arnold at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m. No cover.
• Friday, Aug. 18, singer/songwriter Max McNown from Bend, Oregon, at Sun Mountain Lodge, 7 p.m. No cover.
• Friday, Aug. 18, Okanogan-based Make Up Sax OSB Pub, Winthrop, 6-9 p.m. No cover.
• Saturday, Aug. 19, Tamarack String Quartet (Matt Armbrust, Anna Dooley, Norma Shull and Pamela Hunt) at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m. No cover.
• Tuesday, Aug. 22, “Tuesday Night Wild Music Series” with Stephen Kish at Mazama Public House, 5:30-8:30 p.m. No cover.
• Wednesday, Aug. 23, Ilo Orrin Curtis and Friends at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m. No cover.
• Thursday, Aug. 24, Buz Brose at 1908 Barbecue and Bourbon, Twisp, 7:30 p.m. No cover.
• Thursday, Aug. 24, Emele Clothier and Guest at Jupiter, Winthrop, 6-8 p.m. No cover.
• Friday, Aug. 25, The Paperboys deliver a high-energy evening of songcraft and musical composition at Twisp River Tap House, 7:30 p.m. Advance tickets $18; $20 day of show.
• Friday, Aug. 25, Mac Potts at Sweetriver Bakery, Pateros, 7 p.m. No cover.
• Saturday, Aug. 26, Norman Baker & the Backroads at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m. No cover.
• Saturday, Aug. 26, Waterdog at Sweetriver Bakery, Pateros, 7 p.m. No cover.
• Sunday, Aug. 27, American folk band with dual banjoists The Lowest Pair at Sun Mountain Lodge; $25.
• Saturday, Sept. 2, Swallowtail (Emele Clothier and Matt Armbrust) at Methow Valley Ciderhouse, 6 p.m. No cover with meal.