Jazz Weekend at Community Center
Jazz Weekend in the Methow, presented by Methow Music Monthly, will be presented on Saturday and Sunday (July 8-9) at the Methow Valley Community Center in Twisp.
The event features the New York City-based Jenny Xu Trio —Xu on piano, Ben Feldman on bass and Xavier Lecouturier on drums — as well as local artists Wes James (trumpet), Marcus Duke (piano) and George Schneider (flute). There will also be readings by the Confluence Poets.
• Saturday, July 8, from 1-3:30 p.m. at the Community Center, workshops and classes instructed by Xu, Feldman, Lecouturier and James. Cost is $20, or free to students. Tickets will be available at the door. Sessions include jazz appreciation for the non-musician, basic improvisation, advanced improvisation, piano, brass, drumming, bass and guitar.
At 7 p.m. there will be a concert by the Jenny Xu Trio,and readings by the Confluence Poets. Wine and beer will be available. Tickets are $20 at the door (free for students), cash or check only.
• Sunday, July 9, 2-4 p.m. at the Methow Valley Community Center, a free all-community jazz jam hosted by the Jenny Xu Trio. Everybody is welcome to listen and/or join in with your voice or instrument.
From 5:30-9 p.m. it’s jazz night at Tappi restaurant in Twisp, with the Jenny Xu/Ben Feldman Duo, and the Marcus Duke/George Schneider Duo. There will be a single seating at 5:30 p.m. Cost is $65 including meal. Reservations required at (509) 997-3345.
For more information, visit www.methowmusicmonthly.com.
On Tuesday, July 18, Friends of the Winthrop Library and Trail’s End Bookstore host a reading by author Lauren Johnson, in conversation with local author Shannon Huffman Polson, at the library from 6-8 p.m. Johnson is an Afghanistan veteran and former military public affairs officer whose writing has been featured in the Washington Post, the Atlantic, Boston Globe Magazine, Glamour, Yale Medicine Magazine, and elsewhere. “The Fine Art of Camouflage,” her debut book, chronicles her coming-of-age against the backdrop of war.
R&B Festival tickets
Single-day tickets are now on sale for the annual Winthrop Rhythm & Blues Festival, scheduled for July 21-23 at the Blues Ranch west of Winthrop.
This year’s lineup is scheduled to include Christone “Kingfish” Ingram, North Mississippi Allstars, Ruthie Foster, Marc Broussard, Judith Hill, Eddie 9V, Rick Estrin & the Nightcats, Dwayne Dopsie & the Zydeco Hellraisers, Jackie Venson, Veronica Lewis, Too Slim & the Taildraggers, Yates McKendree, Stephanie Anne Johnson, Tevis Hodge Jr. and the Methow Juke Joint Allstars, a collaboration to musicians.
There will also be local food and craft booths, and on-site camping.
New this year: the Friday night kick-off show will be on the Main Stage with Too Slim & the Taildraggers and Jackie Venson, concluding with an All-Star show in the Big Top Beer Garden featuring Eddie 9V and the Methow Juke Joint Allstars. Visit https://winthropbluesfestival.com for complete information.
Live music in the valley
The information below was provided by Methow Music Monthly and other sources. For more information, visit www.methowmusicmonthly.com.
• Mazama Ukulele Group, time and space to be determined. Email email@example.com for more information.
• Sundays, classical guitarist Terry Hunt at Twisp River Tap House, 5:30 p.m. No cover.
• First Sundays, The Methow Acoustic Musicians Association — an informal gathering of local folk who like to share music and sing together — meets at Twisp Town Park, 3-5 p.m.
• Tuesdays, Roberto Salina sings operatic versions of Latin and popular songs at Methow Valley Ciderhouse, Winthrop, 5 p.m. No cover. Salina also sings at Three Fingered Jack’s on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 6 pm. No cover.
• Wednesdays (starting July 12), “Wunderkind Wednesdays,” talented youth perform at the Twisp River Tap House, curated by Ilo Curtis, 6 p.m. No cover.
• Wednesdays, Zumba with Tani at Winthrop Physical Therapy and Fitness, 9:30-10:30 a.m. (no class June 14). Free to gym members with drop-in rates available.
• Thursdays, Zumba with Brandi at Methow Valley Community Center, Room 7, 5:30-6:20 p.m. By donation.
• Fridays, open mic jam with Gregg Hardy at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m.-closing. No cover.
• Fridays, Soleil Kelley, Loren Boley and Isaac Shaw and friends, at Meza restaurant, Winthrop, 6-8 p.m. No cover.
• Wednesday, July 5, Latin-influenced rock by Sky Kyss at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m. No cover.
• Thursday, July 6, acoustical guitarist and flautist Rojer Arnold at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m. No cover.
• Friday July 7, What 4? at SweetRiver Bakery, Pateros, 7 p.m. No cover.
• Friday July 7, Okanogan singer-songwriter Sebastian Gamble with special guest Blake Austin perform rock, indie and pop-influenced music at. Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m. No cover.
• Saturday July 8, Mac Potts at SweetRiver Bakery, Pateros, 7 p.m. No cover.
• Saturday, July 8, Seattle-based Small Paul at Twisp River Tap House, 7:30 p.m. No cover.
• Wednesday, July 12, local mandolin and guitar prodigy Ilo Curtis at Twisp River Tap House, 6 p.m. No cover.
• Thursday, July 13, acoustical guitarist and flautist Rojer Arnold at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m. No cover.