Stafford poetry reading
Celebrate the life and work of William Stafford at the seventh-annual William Stafford Birthday Reading on Sunday, Jan. 29, at 7 p.m. at The Confluence: Art in Twisp. The event features Holocaust and genocide scholar John K. Roth as guest speaker. Featured readers include members of the Confluence Poets.
The reading is hosted by co-founder Cindy Williams Gutiérrez. To honor Stafford’s lifelong work as a pacifist and as a lover of the natural world, Liberty Bell High School freshmen students will read their own poems envisioning their dreams for America. Bring your favorite Stafford poem or story to share
Second City on its way
Methow Arts presents the legendary Second City comedy troupe in an adults-only performance, “Second City Swipes Right: an Incomplete guide to the Ultimate Date Night,” on Feb. 11 at the Winthrop Barn.
The show starts at 7:30 p.m. Visit www.methowarts.org/category/events to buy tickets for what will likely be a sold-out event, or come by the Methow Arts office in Twisp. Individual tickets are $40; a Gold Premier Table is $250 for four; a Gold Table is $200 for four.
Live music in the valley
The information below was provided by Methow Music Monthly (MethowMusicMonthly@gmail.com) and other sources.
• Sundays, freestyle dance at Wellspring, 9:30-10:30 a.m.; email firstname.lastname@example.org to be on contact list.
• First Sundays (except this month, on Jan. 8), The Methow Acoustic Musicians Association — an informal gathering of local folk who like to share music and sing together — meets at The Cove 2, Twisp, 4-5 p.m.
• Mondays, Twisp and Mazama ukulele groups at Winthrop library community space, 4 p.m., newcomers welcome. Email email@example.com for information.
• Wednesdays, line dancing and more with Debbie Bair at Twisp River Tap House, 6-8 p.m. $10.
• Thursdays (except Jan. 12), Zumba with Brandi at Methow Valley Community Center gym, 5:30-6:20 p.m. By donation.
• Fridays, open mic jam with Gregg Hardy at Twisp River Tap House, 6:30 p.m.-close. No cover.
• Jan. 19, Danbert, Kira & Anna at OSB Taproom, Twisp, 5:30-8:30 p.m. No cover.
• Jan. 20, Stephen Kish performs originals and covers at the Old Schoolhouse Brewery, Winthrop, 6-9 p.m. No cover.
• Jan. 21, What 4 — Okanogan’s own Karen & Gil — perform an array of transatlantic rock, pop, folk and Brazilian at Twisp River Tap House, 6 p.m. No cover.
• Jan. 24, country folk duo Karen et Gil at Mazama Public House, 5:30-8:30 p.m. No cover.
• Jan. 26, Natalie Johnson at OSB Taproom, Twisp, 5;30-8:30 p.m. No cover.
• Jan. 27, Kris Borgias plays rock, blues and folk at Old Schoolhouse Brewery, Winthrop, 6-9 p.m. No cover.
• Jan. 28, local musicians Sarah Stevens, Oori Silberstein, Will Kiefer and Loren Boley offer psychedelic jams to alt-country and everything in between at Twisp River Tap House. 7 p.m. No cover.
• Jan. 31, Stephen Kish at Mazama Public House, 5:30-8:30 p.m., no cover.
• Feb. 2, Wayne & Breathe offer jazz at the OSB Taproom, Twisp, 5:30-8:230 p.m. No cover.
• Feb. 3, open mic at Old Schoolhouse Brewery, Winthrop, 6-9 p.m. No cover.