River gear swap
Methow Rafting in Winthrop will host a river gear swap on Saturday (Sept. 3) from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Anyone can bring and sell river-related equipment, new and used. Items may include inflatable kayaks, river tubes, PFDs, wetsuits, splash jackets, repair kits, paddles and more. Methow Rafting is at 309 Riverside Ave. For information, call (509) 866‑6775 or visit http://methowrafting.com.
Another ace for King
Brad King of Twisp bagged his second hole-in-one in three weeks at Bear Creek Golf Course, dropping a pitching wedge shot into the cup on the No. 2 112-yard, par 3 hole on July 17.
“It was a more traditional shot this time, hitting it above the hole and having it run down onto the green and into the hole,” King said.
It was King’s third ace at the local course, the first coming in 2011, also on No. 2, and the other just three weeks prior on June 29 when he aced the par 4, 234-yard 17th hole during a Bear Creek Men’s Club event.
Rodeo Queen tryouts
The Methow Valley Horsemen will conduct tryouts for the 2023 Methow Valley Rodeo Queen, which will be held on Monday, Sept. 5 (Labor Day), at 10 a.m. at the Rodeo Grounds off Twin Lakes Road in Winthrop.
The potential queen must have her own horse and trailer. The young woman selected will represent the Methow Valley for one year, starting Oct. 1, 2022, traveling to multiple rodeos, parades and luncheons.
Interested candidates can simply come to the tryouts on Labor Day. If you have questions, call Lynn Clark at (360) 318‑6358 or Dennis Gardner at (509) 846‑9880.
The Winthrop Rink is open for summer operations. Programs include:
- Pickleball, Mondays and Thursdays, 6 – 8 p.m., Saturday 9 – 11 a.m., through September. $4 admission, punch cards and season passes available. Paddles, balls, nets free. Try pickleball free the first Monday of the month.
- Roller/inline skating, Fridays and Saturdays 6 – 9 p.m. through Sept. 3. $6 adults, $4 youth (6 – 17)/seniors, 5 and under free. Skate rentals $2. Helmets, knee/wrist/elbow pads free.
- Roller/inline hockey, Wednesdays 6 – 9 p.m. in July, August. $6 adults, $4 youth (6 – 17)/seniors, 5 and under free. Skate rentals $2. Helmets, knee/wrist/elbow pads free.
- Adult rollercise (for ages 15 and older) will be offered on Tuesdays from 6 – 8 p.m.; $4 admission, $2 skate rental.
- Rentals — the skating facility or, separately, the upstairs viewing room are available for rent, by the hour or by the day.
Visit www.winthroprink.org, email email@example.com or call (509) 996‑4199 for additional information.