The Methow Valley Killer Whales swim team stroked its way through two meets last week, traveling on Tuesday (June 28) to Brewster, then hosting Omak on Thursday (June 30) at the Wagner Memorial Pool in Twisp.
The Bearacudas of Brewster topped the Killer Whales by a combined score 284-228 in their home waters. The Killer Whales came out on top over the visiting Manta Rays by a 313-229 score on Thursday at the Twisp pool.
Points are awarded according to how individual and relay teams finish in a specific race: five points for 1st place, three for 2nd and one for 3rd. At Brewster, only a combined score was published. Versus Omak, the Methow Valley boys outscored Omak 142-92, and the girls scored 171 points to Omak’s 137.
There were 96 separate races at Brewster, 86 in the Twisp pool. Here are some highlights:
Individual event 1st-place finishers included Hayes Brede (25-yard freestyle, boys 6 and under); Mackenzie Spellman (boys’ 11-12 50-yard freestyle and 50-yard backstroke); Olive Frady (girls’ 13-14 50-yard freestyle); Yolo Paz (boys’ 13-14 freestyle); Zoe Kaltenbach (girls’ 15-18 50-yard freestyle, 50-yard backstroke and 50-yard butterfly); Neve Kelly (girls’ 11-12 100-yard individual medley); Gavin Blank (boys’ 13-14 100-yard individual medley and 50-yard breaststroke); Adelina Humling (girls’ 11-12 50-yard backstroke); Alex Ramsey-George (boys’ 13-14 50-yard backstroke and 50-yard butterfly); Astrid Stevie (girls’ 7-8 25-yard breaststroke); Phoebe Schmidt (girls’ 9-10 25-yard breaststroke); Helaina Remsberg (girls’ 13-14 50-yard breaststroke); Kennedy Brede (girls 7-8 25-yard butterfly); Clara Ramsay-George (girls’ 11-12 50-yard butterfly).
In the relay events, the Killer Whales placed first in the boys’ 9-10 100-yard medley, girls’ 11-12 200-yard medley, boys’ 13-14 medley, girls’ 7-8 100-yard freestyle, girls’ 13-14 100-yard freestyle, girls’ 11-12 freestyle, and boys’ 13-14 freestyle.
At Twisp on Thursday it was an organized frenzy as volunteers and coaches kept things moving amid the cacophony of shrieks, shrills and cheering brought on by each of the 86 races. Methow Valley winners were:
- Ages 6 and under, freestyle 25-yard, Natalia Rodriguez and Carlton James.
- Ages 7-8, freestyle 25-yard and backstroke 25-yard, Octavia Bell; 25-yard butterfly, Astrid Stevie; 25-yard breaststroke, Astrid Stevie.
- Ages 9-10, 25-yard butterfly, Dalia Goldie and Danny McAuliffe; 25-yard breaststroke, Eldon Smith.
- Ages 11-12, freestyle 50-yard, Clara Ramsey-George; 50-yard backstroke, Neve Kelly and Soren Strauss; 50-yard butterfly, Neve Kelly; breaststroke, Lena Frady and Soren Strauss.
- Ages 13-14, 50-yard freestyle, Helaina Remsberg and Gavin Blank; 100-yard IM, Marit Nelson and Alex Ramsey-George; 50-yard backstroke, Marit Nelson and Gavin Blank; 50-yard butterfly, Helaina Remsberg and Yolo Paz; 50-yard breaststroke, Olive Frady and Alex Ramsey-George; 100-yard freestyle, Olive Frady and Quin Smith.
- Ages 15-18, 50-yard freestyle, Lillian Overbeck and Chicane Ashford; 50-yard backstroke, Chicane Ashford.
Relay race winners:
- Boys’ 9-10 100-yard freestyle (Finnbarr Humling, Eldon Smith, Ethan Miller, Danny McAuliffe).
- Girls’ 13-14 200-yard freestyle (Marit Nelson, Helaina Remsberg, Sophia Baraibar, Olive Frady).
- Boys’ 13-14 200-yard freestyle (Gavin Blank, Quin Smith, Gavin McAuliffe, Yolo Paz).
- Boys’ 15-18 200-yard freestyle (Alex Ramsey-George, Orlo Parkinson, Sam Kaltenbach, Chicane Ashford).