An appearance by renowned Northwest author Tim Egan, whose best-selling works include “The Big Burn,” caps off the grand opening day at the new Winthrop library which starts at 10:30 a.m. and will include a welcoming ceremony, activities for children and families, a quilt show and auction, a photo exhibit of Methow Valley library history, a barbeque lunch and much more. Opening day activities include a ceremony at 11 a.m. The architects and artists who contributed to the building’s design will also be available.
Friends of the Winthrop Library (FOWL) — the nonprofit which raised money for the building through a fundraising campaign — will host the day’s events and will offer a week of activities in conjunction with NCW Libraries.
Library doors will open at noon. Visitors can explore the new space with the help of librarian Ree West and NCW Libraries staff.
The quilt show starts at noon and will continue all week during library hours in the Community Room. Proceeds from the auction will help fund the landscaping and the gardens at the new library.
The Egan event at the Winthrop Barn starts at 6 p.m. It is sold out and only ticket-holders will be admitted.
NCW Libraries will continue the celebration all week, during the library’s regular hours.
FOWL’s book and bake sale on June 18 at the new library, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., will wrap up the week.
For more information, visit www.ncwlibraries.org/winthrop-library-grand-opening-week-celebration or www.winthroplibraryfriends.org.
Opening day schedule
- 10:30 a.m.: Coffee, music and mingling. Park at the Town Trailhead, or walk or ride to the library at 112 Norfolk Road (off of White Avenue).
- 11 a.m.: Opening ceremony.
Noon: Doors open; quilt show opens. Meet the architects and artists, check out the library history exhibit by the Shafer Museum.
- 1 p.m.: Kiwanis barbecue lunch, with cupcakes by Sun Mountain Lodge.
- 1 p.m.: Children and family activities including arts and crafts, a scavenger hunt, a discovery table and more.
- 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.: Tour the outdoor library.
- 4 p.m.: Library closes.
- 6 p.m.: Author Timothy Egan at the Winthrop Barn. Event is sold out; only ticket-holders will be admitted. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.
Opening week activities
NCW Libraries and Friends of the Winthrop Library (FOWL) are featuring an array of special activities and programs from June 11-18 to celebrate the grand opening of the new Winthrop library:
- Quilt show and auction, hosted by FOWL, with the online auction through June 18.
- Technology Taste Test. Explore a petting zoo of technology from a 3D print to a green screen photo booth.
- Teen scavenger hunt. Designed by and for teens, discover the library by following the breadcrumbs through a variety of fun activities.
- Methow Valley library history. This photo exhibit by the Shafer Museum will give you a glimpse into the past.
Librarian Ree West has planned several special programs during he week:
- June 14, 4-6 p.m., family sphero painting. Create collaborative paintings with sphero robots. All ages are welcome.
- June 15, 5:30-6:30 p.m., “Smoke-Ready Communities.” Hear from Liz Walker of Clear Air Methow, who will share practical information about the health risks of wildfire smoke and resources for building smoke-ready communities.
- June 16, 4-5 p.m., “The Keystone Connection.” Learn about how beavers help create a better habitat for fish to live in and assist the land in recovering from wildfires. Join staff members from the Methow Beaver Project to explore beaver ecology.
- June 18, 10:30-11:30 a.m. “Play and Learn Storytime: All about Quilts.” Learn about the quilts being shown at the library.
- Book and bake sale hosted by FOWL, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Opening week hours are: Tuesday/Wednesday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Thursday/Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Learn more at www.winthroplibraryfriends.org orwww.ncwlibraries.org/winthrop-library-grand-opening-week-celebrations.