The Methow Valley Mountain Biking Team is once again on a roll.
After a year-long hiatus from racing due to COVID-caused race cancelations, seven members of the team and two coaches traveled to Port Gamble Forest Heritage Park last Saturday (May 8) to compete in the first race of the four-part Northwest Epic Series.
Methow Valley riders took the overall first- and second-place titles and swept all female junior categories on the 17-mile course.
Carter Sheley, 15, won first place overall, out of 70 competitors. His twin brother Graham Sheley, 15, placed second overall, gritting it out to the finish line with a broken thumb that resulted from a fall on course.
Methow Valley women dominated the junior category, taking first through fourth places with other team members taking home hardware in their racing categories.
Other team results:
• Coach Jeremy Newman, 5th overall, 2nd 40-49 male
• Stella Scholz (15), 9th overall, 1st female junior
• Landry Chrastina (16), 13th overall, 5th male junior
• Jori Grialou (16), 14th overall, 2nd female junior
• Dashe McCabe (14), 17th overall, 3rd female junior
• Ila Newman (15), 18th overall, 4th female junior
• Coach Hanz Scholz, 20th overall, 3rd 50+ male
The next Northwest Epic Series race is at Echo Ridge in Chelan on June 12.