• Winthrop Rink: With these sunny longer days, the seasonal ice rink is coming to an end on Sunday (March 8). Go skate on ice honed by Zamboni masters while you still can; after Sunday, the rink will begin transitioning to summer sport facilities. Check the rink schedule for details: winthroprink.org/schedule.
• Loup Loup Ski Bowl remains open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday as long as conditions hold. The South Summit Nordic trails are getting thin and were groomed for the last time on Sunday (Feb 29). Check skitheloup.com for updates on conditions.
• Methow Trails Nordic skiing: With alternating warm and cold temperatures, trail conditions are holding solid with plenty of coverage and a firm platform in the mornings, softening throughout the day. Ski early for the best conditions, and check Nordic Ultratune’s Wax of the Day before you go (mv-wotd.blogspot.com/).
Methow Trails Executive Director James Desalvo says “At this point we have a few more inches on the ground than 2019, when we groomed up to April 1. It all depends on what happens in March, but I can confidently say that we will be grooming trails somewhere through the second weekend in March and likely further. March is our favorite month to ski: long days, fast conditions, and sunny spring-like days.” Visit methowtrails.org/trail-report when planning your outing.
• Ice fishing: Patterson Lake remains a favorite local fishing spot, with anglers pulling out yellow perch, rainbow and kokanee last weekend. Users report that the ice is still thick and solid; still, it is prudent to exercise caution. Visit https://okanogancountry.com/fishing-hunting-winter for more ice fishing information, but be aware that the website contains seasonal information only, and is not updated with current conditions.
• Fat biking will soon transition to mud biking, but for a little while still morning riding is fast and firm, before the sun and daytime temperatures soften the trails. All of Methow Trails’ fat bike and snowshoe trails are open and are a fun alternative to skiing or just another way of experiencing winter recreation. Visit http://www.methowtrails.org/trail-report to learn about conditions and grooming. Lloyd Ranch, Pearrygin Lake and Bear Creek Golf Course fat bike trails are still open for riding; some are multi-use trails. Visit methowcyclesport.com/articles/fat-bike-trails-conditions-pg187.htm for more information and trail suggestions.