Incumbents for local offices maintained or increased their leads over challengers in last week’s general election, according to updated voting totals released Friday (Nov. 8) by the Okanogan County Auditor’s Office.
Twisp Mayor Soo Ing-Moody, and Twisp Town Council members Alan Caswell and Mark Easton, all were substantially ahead of their challengers.
In the race for a position on the Okanogan County Fire District 6 board of commissioners, incumbent Darold Brandenburg maintained his margin over challenger Ken Doran.
Incumbent Frank Kline still led challenger Leverett Hubbard in the contest for a seat on the Methow Valley School District board of directors, but by a smaller margin.
Countywide, a ballot measure to raise the county’s sales tax by 0.2% to support updates of emergency communications systems was winning handily.
Most local candidates were unchallenged and were re-elected.
Updated results will be released on Thursday (Nov. 14). About 600 ballots remain to be counted, according to the auditor’s office.
Here’s a roundup of candidates who were not challenged for re-election:
• Hospital District 1 (Three Rivers Hospital) — Commissioner Position No. 2, at-large, two-year unexpired term, Leslie McNamara; Position No. 3, six-year term, Mike Pruett; Position No. 4, six-year term, Cherryl Thomas.
• Town of Twisp — Council Position No. 1, two-year unexpired term, Hannah Cordes; Position No. 5, four-year term, Hans Smith.
• Town of Winthrop — Council Position No. 3, four-year term, Ben Nelson; Position No. 4, four-year term, William Kilby; Position No. 5, four-year term, Bill McAdow.
• Methow Valley School District — Director, District 1, four-year term, Judith Hardmeyer-Wright; District 3, four-year term, Mary Anne Quigley.
• Cemetery District 1 — Commissioner, Position No. 1, four-year unexpired term, Gary Marchbank; Position No. 2, six-year term, Don Waller; Position No. 3, two-year unexpired term, Teresa Mathis.
• Cemetery District 2 — Commissioner, Position No. 3, six-year term, Jane Surface.
VOTING TOTALS AS REPORTED NOV. 8
Soo Ing-Moody 284, 76%
Vern Nations 88, 24%
TWISP TOWN COUNCIL, POSITION 3
Alan Caswell 259, 73%
Leone C. Edson 96, 27%
TWISP TOWN COUNCIL, POSITION 4
Mark Easton 246, 71%
Kevin K. Hickman 101, 29%
METHOW VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT, DISTRICT 5
Frank Kline 1,153; 52%
Leverett Hubbard 1,080; 48%
OKANOGAN CTY FIRE DIST. 6
Darold Brandenburg 1,490; 67%
Ken Doran 728, 33%
COUNTY PROPOSITION 2
Yes 7,125; 69%
No 3,230; 31%