Editor’s note: Story was updated Wednesday, 11/6 at 3:20 p.m. to include vote counts reported up to this point.
It was a good day for local incumbents in Tuesday’s general election.
Twisp Mayor Soo Ing-Moody, and Twisp Town Council members Alan Caswell and Mark Easton, all were substantially ahead of their challengers in the first round of results released by the Okanogan County Auditor’s Office.
In the race for a position on the Okanogan County Fire District 6 board of commissioners, incumbent Darold Brandenburg held a large lead over challenger Ken Doran.
Incumbent Frank Kline had a comfortable lead over challenger Leverett Hubbard in the contest for a seat on the Methow Valley School District board of directors.
Countywide, a ballot measure to raise the county’s sales by 0.2% tax to support updates of emergency communications systems was winning handily.
Most local candidates were unchallenged and were re-elected.
Updated results will be released on Friday (Nov. 8).
VOTING TOTALS AS REPORTED NOV. 7
Soo Ing-Moody 111 68%
Vern Nations 53 32%
TWISP TOWN COUNCIL, POSITION 3
Alan Caswell 101 64%
Leone C. Edson 57 36%
TWISP TOWN COUNCIL, POSITION 4
Mark Easton 98 64%
Kevin K. Hickman 54 36%
METHOW VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT, DISTRICT 5
Frank Kline 713 55%
Leverett Hubbard 582 45%
OKANOGAN COUNTY FIRE DISTRICT 6
Darold Brandenburg 916 67%
Ken Doran 440 32%
COUNTY PROPOSITION 2
Yes 4,417 67%
No 2,194 33%
(Some of the vote percentages reflect write-in votes).
Here’s a roundup of candidates who were not challenged for re-election:• Hospital District 1 (Three Rivers Hospital) — Commissioner Position No. 2, at-large, two-year unexpired term, Leslie McNamara; Position No. 3, six-year term, Mike Pruett; Position No. 4, six-year term, Cherryl Thomas.
- Town of Twisp — Council Position No. 1, two-year unexpired term, Hannah Cordes; Position No. 5, four-year term, Hans Smith.
- Town of Winthrop — Council Position No. 3, four-year term, Ben Nelson; Position No. 4, four-year term, William Kilby; Position No. 5, four-year term, Bill McAdow.
- Methow Valley School District — Director, District 1, four-year term, Judith Hardmeyer-Wright; District 3, four-year term, Mary Anne Quigley.
- Cemetery District 1 — Commissioner, Position No. 1, four-year unexpired term, Gary Marchbank; Position No. 2, six-year term, Don Waller; Position No. 3, two-year unexpired term, Teresa Mathis.
- Cemetery District 2 — Commissioner, Position No. 3, six-year term, Jane Surface.