The holiday season is full of activities around the valley. Here’s a selection of things you might want to check out. Click here to check out church services.
Friday, Dec. 21
• The Freestone Inn in Mazama offers a holiday open house including a wine-and-appetizer social and pictures with Santa Claus, from 4 – 6 p.m. Cost is $10 for non-guests. Call 996‑3906.
Saturday, Dec. 22
• Friends of the Winthrop Library hosts a reading of “The Night Before Christmas” at the Mazama Community Club, including a story ski, ornament making and treats. The free event begins at 2 p.m. For information, visit www.winthroplibraryfriends.org.
• Join Santa for breakfast, cookie decorating and photos at the Freestone Inn in Mazama. Cost is $12-$18; reservations are required. Call 996‑3906. There will be 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. seatings.
• Violinist Lena Nelson, a student of Pam Hunt for the past seven years, will perform her Suzuki Book No. 6 recital at Methow Valley United Methodist Church. The free event begins at 3 p.m.
• Pianist Lynette Westendorf will be joined by bassist Galen Hunt and Seattle-based drummer Will Lone in a jazz concert to benefit Room One at the Methow Valley Ciderhouse in Winthrop. The concert begins at 6:30 p.m. Admission is free, but donations are encouraged to support Room One.
• Folk recording artist Brittany Jean will present a concert featuring seasonal music at The Merc Playhouse in Twisp. Tickets are $10 at the door for the 5 p.m. show.
• Paula Christen opens her watercolor studio at 447 Wister Way, Winthrop, on Saturday and Sunday (Dec. 22 – 23) from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 23
• There will be a tree lighting and holiday celebration at Loup Loup Ski Bowl. The free event begins at 2 p.m. For information, call (509) 557‑3401 or visit skitheloup.com.
• Pipestone Music School students offer a concert at Sun Mountain Lodge. The free event begins at 6 p.m. Call 996‑2211.
Monday, Dec. 24
• Christmas Eve at Sun Mountain Lodge includes cookie decorating and a visit from Santa, at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.; Christmas carols with the Cascadia Chorale, Dana Stromberger and Lynette Westendorf, from 4 – 5 p.m.; and Santa reading “The Night Before Christmas” at 7 p.m. All are free. Breakfast with Santa is from 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. in the main dining room. Christmas Eve dinner with a special menu is in the main dining room from 5 – 8:30 p.m.; reservations are required. There will be a sleigh ride dinner at 5 p.m.; reservations are required. Call 996‑2211.
Tuesday, Dec. 25
There are several options for Christmas Day dinners:
• The Methow Valley Snowmobile Association will host a free Christmas Day dinner, open to all, at the Winthrop Barn from noon – 2 p.m. For information, call 996‑2709 or email email@example.com.
• Christmas dinner buffet at Freestone Inn, Mazama. Cost is $15-$49; reservations are required. Call 996‑3906. There will be 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. seatings.
• Christmas dinner at Sun Mountain Lodge. Cost is $75; reservations are requested. Call 996‑2211. Served 5 – 8:30 p.m.
• Also at Sun Mountain Lodge, Hank Kramer entertains with music and folklore in a free performance at 3 p.m.
Wednesday, Dec. 26
• Terry Hunt and Laura Love perform at Sun Mountain Lodge. The free event begins at 6 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 27
• The Tamarack String Quartet performs at Sun Mountain Lodge. The free event begins at 6 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 28
• The Lynette Westendorf Trio performs at Sun Mountain Lodge. The free event begins at 6 p.m.
Satuday, Dec. 29
• Ski competitively or just for fun in the Ski Rodeo at the Liberty Bell High School trails; 1K, 5K and 10K races for all ages. Costs vary. Registration at 8:30 a.m.; races begin at 10 a.m. Visit methowvalleynordic.com for more information.
Monday, Dec. 31
• Show off your vintage Nordic ski wear and equipment, and compete for prizes, at the Vintage Ski Festival at the Mazama Store. The free event begins at noon. Visit methowvalleynordic.com for more information.
• Celebrate New Year’s Eve at Sun Mountain Lodge with a special dinner in the main dining room from 5 – 10 p.m., for $85; and/or with a party featuring Honey and the Killer Bees from 9 p.m. – 12:30 a.m., cost is $50. There will be fireworks at 10 p.m. Call 996‑2211.
• Ring in the new year at Freestone Inn with a fireworks show at midnight.
Tuesday, Jan. 1
• Start 2019 with a New Year’s Day breakfast buffet at Sun Mountain Lodge, from 7:30 – 11:30 a.m. Cost is $10.95 to $21. Call 996‑2211.
• Take a hike or fat bike ride at Pearrygin Lake State Park, starting at 10 a.m.; no Discover Pass is necessary but a Sno-Park permit is required.
Other live music
• Ken Bevis at the Methow Valley Ciderhouse, Winthrop, Dec. 21, 6 p.m. Free.
• Lynette Westendorf Trio at Sixknot Taphouse, Winthrop, Dec. 21, 6:30 p.m. Free.
• Jake Shaw, Isaac Shaw and Loren Boley in concert at Methow Valley Ciderhouse, Winthrop, Dec. 23, 7 p.m. Free.
Methow Valley churches are celebrating Christmas with services starting this weekend:
Sunday, Dec. 23
• Christmas worship service, Calvary Chapel Fellowship, 1107 Highway 153, Methow, 9 a.m.
• Christmas music service, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 972 Twisp-Carlton Road, Twisp. 10-11 a.m.
Monday, Dec. 24
• Carols and worship service, Methow Episcopal, meeting at Friendship Alliance Church, 809 Highway 20, Winthrop, 3:30 p.m.
• Christmas candlelight service, Mazama Community Church, 18202 Highway 20, 5 p.m.
• Candlelight service, Community Covenant Church, 710 Highway 20, Twisp, 5 p.m.
• Carols and candlelight, followed by soup supper, at Calvary Chapel, 20077 Highway 20, Twisp, 5 p.m.
• Candlelight communion and Christmas Eve service, Cascade Bible Church, 1119 Highway 20, Twisp, 6:30 p.m.
• Carols and candlelight, Methow Valley United Methodist Church, 193 B Old Twisp Highway, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 25
• Christmas Day Mass, St. Genevieve Catholic Church, 403 Burgar St., Twisp, 11 a.m.
• Christmas Day community meal (bring a side dish) at The Local Church, Carlton, fellowship at noon, meal at 2 p.m.