Six Liberty Bell High School wrestlers are slotted to compete in the District 5/6 tournament for 1B/2B boys’ teams on Saturday (Feb. 3) in Oroville, seeking to move on to regional competition on Feb. 10 at Kittitas.
Scheduled to wrestle for the Liberty Bell boys, according to the seeding brackets, are:
• Sophomore Jed McMillan, 120 pounds, has a first-round bye and will face Jose Cortez of Tonasket in the semifinals.
• Junior Evan Budrow, 126 pounds, has a first-round bye and will face Chris Rivera of Tonasket in the seminfinals.
• Freshman Bodie Paul, 145 pounds, has a first-round bye, then will face the winner of a match between Darien Range of Oroville and Tyler Palmer of Lake Roosevelt in the semi-finals.
• Junior Alex Garcia, 170 pounds, will face Moses Luevano of Lake Roosevelt in the first round.
• Sophomore Magnus Treise, 170 pounds, has a first-round bye and will face Slade Ginter of Pateros in the semi-finals.
• Senior Finlay Holston advances automatically to the championship match against the winner of a match between Brandon Long of Lake Roosevelt and Brandon Barker of Tonasket.
The top five finishers at each weight will move to the regionals. From there, the top three finishers in each weight class will advance to the state tournament. The Mat Classic is at the Tacoma Dome on Feb. 16 and 17.
Last year, Holston — then a junior — was the Mountain Lions’ only representative at the state 1B/2B Mat Classic state championships, where he took second place in the 182-pound division. In team competition under first-year coach Jonathan McMillan, Liberty Bell finished 23rd among 43 teams with 20 points.
Mountain Lions Tanner White and Jed McMillan had been named alternatives for Liberty Bell but did not compete in the state meet.