Mary Kenney passed away quietly in Chelan, Washington, on Dec. 19, 2015. Her sons Lowell and Kim, and grandsons David and Daniel, mounted a 24-hour watch the last week of her life.
The family would like to thank Kim Kenney for the loving care that he provided Frank and Mary for the past 10 years.
Mary was born June17, 1923, to Harriet (Cobb) and Ira B. Wood on a homestead on Putt Creek in Carbon County, Wyoming, where she joined her two older brothers, Albert and Crawford.
While working at the Carbon County Courthouse at Rawlins, Wyoming, in 1942, she befriended Alice Kenney, Maudie Lake and Barbara Peter (Wood), all of whom became her sisters in law. Alice introduced Mary to her brother Frank and they were married on July 29, 1946.
Mary was a wonderful mother to her two sons, daughters-in-law and, if possible, an even better grandmother to her grandsons.
Mary made a warm welcoming home in many places where others would refuse to live.
Frank and Mary moved to Winthrop in 1983 to be near their son, Lowell (Ardis) and grandsons, David and Daniel. Mary and Frank were both active in the Shafer Museum for many years. In 2013, they moved from their beloved home on Filer Avenue in Winthrop to Regency Manor in Chelan.
Mary was preceded in death by her parents, Harriet and Ira Wood; Frank Kenney, her husband of 68 years; and brothers Albert and Crawford Wood. She is survived by her sons Lowell (Ardis), and Kim; two grandsons, David (Jodi) and their four children; Daniel (Veronica), and their two children. She is also survived by brother-in-law David A. Kenney; sister-in-law Maudie Kenney, double-cousin Margery Heyman, niece Missy Wood, nephews Blaine and Pete Wood, and many other family members and friends.
Mom would like to be remembered by sharing her love of family and the outdoors.
Mary’s and Frank’s ashes will be scattered some time next summer at one of their favorite remote sites in the Methow Valley.