Winthrop marshal had sought review of state order

By Don Nelson

An Okanogan County Superior Court judge has denied a request by suspended Winthrop Marshal Daniel Tindall to temporarily stay his decertification as a police officer in Washington state.

Tindall and his attorney, James David of Northwest Legal Advocates LLC in Vancouver, appeared before Superior Court Judge Henry Rawson on Nov. 21. David offered a petition asking the court to stay a decertification order by the state Criminal Justice and Training Commission (CJTC), pending further judicial review.

In a single-page response issued earlier this week, Rawson denied the request. As of Friday (Nov. 30), it was not known if Tindall will appeal the decision.

While the revocation order is in effect, Tindall cannot act as marshal. The town has two full-time deputies, Doug Johnson and Ken Bajema, both hired by Tindall since he took over as marshal last year. Winthrop Mayor Sally Ranzau said this week that Johnson will be named acting marshal.

If the revocation order stands, Tindall could not file for reinstatement as a peace office until five years after the order was issued.

The CJTC is a state board that establishes standards for law enforcement officers. The commission’s decertification order was issued in late October after an administrative hearing in mid-October. The CJTC sought to revoke Tindall’s peace officer certification “on the basis that he was discharged from the WSP [Washington State Patrol] for disqualifying misconduct” in 2015, according to the CJTC revocation order.

The revocation order refers to a 2015 incident in which Tindall — then a Washington State Patrol trooper — was accused of making false or misleading statements related to the investigation of his son for alleged criminal activity. In August 2015, Tindall retired from the WSP after 25 years of service. In 2016, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor criminal charge in the case involving attempted arson charges against his teenage son Wyatt, who was suspected of setting a vehicle on fire.

At the Nov. 21 hearing, David argued that Tindall answered questions truthfully during the investigation into his son’s activities and made no false or misleading statements to any investigators.

Ranzau had earlier placed Tindall on a 30-day civil service suspension with pay pending the decertification review.

For complete coverage, see next week’s Methow Valley News.