A smaller-than-usual contingent of Killer Whales — the Methow Valley Swim Team — competed last weekend at the Okanogan Pentathlon swim meet.
Because the Wagner Memorial Pool in Twisp is being repaired and has yet to open this season, swim team members have had to find other ways to practice.
About 20 Killer Whales entered the five events at Okanogan — freestyle, backstroke, butterfly, breaststroke and an individual medley — on the meet’s schedule. Several managed to come away with first-place finishes. Most years, the Killer Whales put 80 to 100 swimmers in the pool.
Taking top spots for the Whales were:
• Helaina Remsberg, girls’ 7-8 25-yard freestyle.
• Shad Frantz, boys’ 9-10 25-yard freestyle; boys’ 9-10 25-yard butterfly; boys’ 9-10 25-yard backstroke; boys’ 9-10 25-yard breaststroke; boys’ 9-10 100-yard medley.
• Maya Sheely, girls’ 13-14 50-yard freestyle; girls’ 13-14 50-yard butterfly; girls’ 13-14 100-yard medley.
• Juliana Floyd, girls’ 7-8 25-yard butterfly.
• Nyah Frantz, girls’ 7-8 25-yard backstroke; girls’ 7-8 100-yard medley.
• Tyler Darwood, boys’ 13-14 50-yard backstroke.
Also competing were Court Darwood, Leki Albright, Connor Gonzales, Samuel Patterson, Mariah Lucy, Stella Scholz, Wyatt Albright, Grey Patterson, Kellen Miles, Dusty Patterson, Dalynn Floyd and Grace Gonzales.