By Susie Heller
Another day in the diary of your Senior Center. If you have never been in our building for lunch or shopping at the Thrift Store, then this is your special — only to you — invitation to visit.
• Our lunches, with an ever-changing menu, have fabulous food that hits the spot. There is always a plethora of offerings to suit even the most discriminating diner. The suggested donation is $3.25 for seniors over age 60; cost is $8 for those under 60.
• Our Thrift Store is open Monday, Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. As long as the farmers market is open, so are we. Right now we have a wealth of clothing, shoes and household items. Cost is just $3 for a large paper grocery bag full of treasures. When we have a lot of things, as we did last Friday, things are $1 per bag.
• Several times a year we have special events. The coming Labor Day holiday will find us selling Western ware on Friday and Saturday to outfit you for the coming rodeo. Western donations gladly accepted.
• On the first Monday and third Thursday we have bingo after lunch. Dance day is on the first Friday. Free blood pressure tests are available on the first Thursday at 11 a.m.
• We are offering free merchandise to those devastated by the fires. Come by and get things you need. We realize you do not have a home to keep many things in, so will offer this free service for as long as needed.
• We have a lot of fun. Last Wednesday we enjoyed a barbecue prepared by Rosalie and Connie and served by other volunteers in appreciation of our senior members, free of charge. Our special thanks to NAPA for loaning us their barbecue.
• The center is also a fun place to volunteer.
Thursday, Aug. 21: Ham and cheese casserole, pea salad, broccoli salad, fruit salad, lemon bars.
Friday, Aug. 22: Seafood fettuccini, Caesar salad, Waldorf salad, peaches, garlic bread, strawberry shortcake.
Monday, Aug. 25: Sweet-and-sour meatballs, rice, cottage cheese, mixed vegetables, spinach salad, cookies.
Thursday, Aug. 28: Hot turkey sandwich with stuffing, green beans, green salad, mixed fruit, ice cream.
Friday, Aug. 29: Tuna melt on English muffin, carrots, coleslaw, pears, blueberry shortcake.
Meals are at noon in the Methow Valley Senior Center on Highway 20 in Twisp. The suggested donation is $3.25 for seniors over age 60; cost is $8 for those under 60. For more information, call 997-7722.