This public service announcement is provided in response to anticipated loss of electrical power due to the current fire conditions. This information is provided by the Washington State Dept. of Health.

Power outages

Power outages can cause a number of safety concerns; knowing the following information can help.

During a power outage:

• Turn off lights and electrical appliances except for the refrigerator and freezer.

• Even if it is dark, turn light switches and buttons on lamps or appliances to the “off” position.

• Unplug computers and other sensitive equipment to protect them from possible surges when the power is restored.

• Leave one lamp on so you will know when power is restored. Wait at least 15 minutes after power is restored before turning on other appliances

• Conserve water, especially if you use well water.

• Never use gas ovens, gas ranges, barbecues or portable or propane heaters for indoor heating— they use oxygen and create carbon monoxide that can cause suffocation.

• Candles can cause a fire. It’s far better to use battery-operated flashlights or glow sticks for lighting.

• Using a kerosene heater, gas lantern or stove inside the house can be dangerous. Maintain proper ventilation at all times to avoid a build up of toxic fumes, and be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector.

• Stay away from downed power lines and sagging trees with broken limbs.

a

Keep food safe

Use and store food carefully to prevent foodborne illness when power outages make refrigeration unavailable.

• Use foods first that can spoil most rapidly.

• Keep doors to refrigerators and freezers closed. Your refrigerator’s freezer will keep food frozen for up to a day. A separate fully-loaded freezer will keep food frozen for two days.

• Use an ice chest packed with ice or snow to keep food cold. Buy dry ice to save frozen food. Do not handle dry ice with your bare hands. Use blocks or bags of ice to save refrigerator foods.

• Use caution if storing food outside during winter to keep it cold. The outside temperature varies, especially in the sun. Frozen food may thaw and refrigerator food may become warm enough to grow bacteria. Food stored outside must be secured from contamination by animals.

• If in doubt, throw it out. Throw out meat, seafood, dairy products and cooked food that does not feel cold.

• Never taste suspect food. Even if food looks and smells fine, illness-causing bacteria may be present.

Should you have any questions regarding this information please contact our office at (509) 422-7140. Our normal office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.

Dave Hilton, Environmental Health Director Okanogan County Public Health