Shirley Ann Lewis of Twisp had fatal heart failure at her home on West Second Avenue in Twisp on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014, at 1 a.m. She was born in Cabool, Mo., on Sept. 30, 1946, to Marvin and Elta Wilhite. She was raised and went to school in White Center, Wash. She married John M. Lewis in Tonasket on Aug. 13, 1973. She and John raised their son, Tim C. Lewis, 43, of Twisp.
She was fond of her grandchildren, Tiffini Lewis and Dreaton Acord. She was preceded in death by a brother, a sister, a son and a granddaughter. She is survived by John and Tim and two sisters, Virginia Hansen of Tacoma and Sharon Getchnel of Maine, and a brother, Eddy Wilhite of Stanwood, Wash.
She worked at FAO’s in Oroville where she met John. She worked for years at Sam’s Place in Winthrop. She also worked at The Broken Spoke, Brooks Mercantile, The Hoot Owl Café and Sun Mountain Lodge.
She was devoted to the welfare of animals. She worked with animal foster care and helped Okanogan County build a no-kill shelter for dogs and cats. At her home, over the years, she rescued and raised five dogs and one cat.
She requested no services and was cremated by Precht-Harrison Nearents in Okanogan. It was her wish to have her ashes scattered in the Methow Valley. She wanted remembrances to go to Aero Methow Rescue Service of Twisp or the Kiwanis club of Winthrop in care of the Treasurer Dick Evans, P.O. Box 1204, Winthrop, WA 98826.