George P. Honey was born Aug. 15, 1933, to George and Hazel Honey at John and Elizabeth Zachman’s Pine Creek homestead in Riverside, Wash. He passed away Nov. 14, 2013, in East Wenatchee.

The family lived in the Chiliwist area until 1936. George’s father was hired by George Miller to pack ore out of the Tungsten Mine, and it was then that he moved his family to the Methow Valley.

In 1943 the family moved again, setting up home at the Eight Mile Ranch along the Chewuch River. Then in 1946 George Sr. moved his family once more to a small farm in Winthrop. The family grew roots there, planting large gardens and raising animals.

George graduated from Winthrop High School, class of 1952. He excelled in basketball, baseball and football.

In March 1953 George enlisted in the U.S. Army and was sent to Fort Lewis. He was later stationed in Germany and completed his service in 1956. He then moved back home to Winthrop and went to work in the logging industry. After about a year the lumber mill went on strike. Work was hard to come by so George moved down to California and went to work for another logging company. Again work became scarce so George re-enlisted in the Army for another four years, which was also spent in Germany.

In the spring of 1962 George met his future wife, Ruth Garrison, and her four children, Judy, Bill, Jackie and Mike. They were soon married in Carson City, Nev. That same year George decided to move his new family back to Washington and made a home for them in Twisp. He worked for the U.S. Forest Service in the summer months and felled timber for Lloyd Logging the remainder of time.

In 1966 George and Ruth packed up their home and all the kids and moved to Entiat, as George was offered a full-time position with the Forest Service’s Entiat Ranger District. He retired from the Forest Service in 1987 and immediately went to work for Arnie Arneson. Together they managed 38,000 acres of timber for the City of Seattle.

George took up auctioneering in 1974. He loved the auction business and made the decision to start his own auction company, thus Northwest Auction Services was born. He built an auction facility in Entiat and ran the business until February 2011, at which time it was sold to Booker Auctions.

George then became an active board member at the Columbia Breaks Fire Interpretive Center, located in Entiat. He was a dedicated Wenatchee Wild and Wenatchee Apple Socks fan.

George felt very fortunate to have a great friendship and camaraderie with his many cousins on both the Zachman and Honey sides of the family.

He was preceded in death by his parents and his wife, Ruth. He is survived by his brother Raymond and his wife Shirley and their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and his stepchildren, Judy Ward, Bill Garrison, Jackie Martin and Mike Honey and their children and grandchildren.

A service of remembrance will be held at 1 p.m. on Dec. 14 at the Cashmere Riverside Center, 201 Riverside Drive, Cashmere.